How to find a snail friendly vet
While there are a large number of veterinary practices within the UK, the number of vets specialising in treating exotic animals is relatively small. The number of vets confident in treating invertebrates is smaller still. For this reason, we recommend identifying your nearest snail friendly vet as soon as possible. It can be very difficult to find a suitable vet at short notice if your snail requires
To find a snail friendly vet, begin by using Google to search for exotics vets in your area. Identify all of those within an accessible distance and then contact them directly for more information. When you call or email the practice, you may like to ask the following questions:
* Does the exotics vet have experience treating invertebrates?
* Do they currently have any giant African land snails registered as patients?
* How often do they see snails in their practice?
* What treatments have they previously performed on snails and how frequently have they performed them?
* Would they be confident providing pain killers and anti-inflammatories by injection? Have they done this before?
* Would they be confident repairing shell damage? Have they done this before?
* What is their out of hours service like?
* In the event of an emergency, will the on-call vet be able to contact the exotics specialist for
advice if necessary?
As a guide to what you are looking for as a desirable response:
Our exotics vet has extensive experience of working with invertebrates and has a number of snails on their books. They see snails regularly in the practice and the vet is confident and experienced in performing a wide range of procedures. Our vet is confident and experienced in providing pain killers and anti-inflammatories and repairing shell damage. Our practice has a 24-hour out of hours service and has specialist vet nurses trained to deal with exotics. These nurses and the exotics
vet are available to provide support to other staff in the event of an emergency.
Veterinary practices able to deal with snails:
Chine House - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Tel. 01509 812446
If you know of a veterinary practice able to treat snails, please do let us know and we will add it to our list.